Are you eligible to vote in the May primary?


If you are currently registered as an Independent/Non-Partisan or with any minor political party (i.e. Green, Libertarian, Constitutional, etc.), you will not be able to vote for any candidate at the upcoming General Primary to be held on Tuesday, May 17, 2022. 

This includes the offices of U.S. Senator, Governor and Lieutenant Governor, Representative in Congress, Representative in the General Assembly as well as state and local party committee positions. Pennsylvania has a closed primary voting system which allows only registered Democrats and Republicans to be able to vote for their parties’ candidates in the primary.

If you wish to vote for any of these offices, you will need to change your party affiliation to either Democrat or Republican prior to Monday, May 2nd by doing one of the following.  You may also submit your change of name and/or address.

Franklin County officials released the following information for voters:

Q: How Do I  Submit My Change of Name, Address or Party Affiliation?

A: Submit online by going to , which is available in both English and Spanish; in person at the Franklin County Voter Registration Office which is located in the new Administration Building, 272 North Second Street, Chambersburg from 8:30-4:30, Monday – Friday; by mail in one of two ways:

Obtain a state or federal voter registration mail application from a candidate, political party and other Federal, State, and municipal offices.  You may also request one from the Department of State’s website at

Download the voter registration application available from the Department of State’s website at or from the County’s website at

IMPORTANT:  If you are already registered and just need to update your information, you will need to check the applicable box(es) on the voter registration form to either Change Name, Change Address and/or Change Party.

Apply at the Department of Transportation photo license center when you obtain or update your driver’s license.

Or apply at a government agency.  Clients of these government agencies may apply to register to vote or make a change to their registration at:

·        State offices that provide public assistance and services to persons with disabilities

·        Armed Forces Recruitment Centers

·        County’s Clerk of Courts Office

·        Area Agencies on Aging & County Mental Health/Intellectual Disabilities Offices

·        Centers for Independent Living

Q: What is the deadline to change my name, address and/or party on my voter registration?

A: The deadline to apply for a change of name, address and/or party or to make a new registration for the upcoming general primary is Monday, May 2nd. If your application is received or postmarked after that date, it will be processed for the 2022 General Election in November.  Once the application is processed, each voter will receive a voter registration card in the mail which will notate the location of their polling place. Any questions concerning updating a voter’s registration information should be directed to the Voter Registration Office at (717) 261-3886 or the Franklin County Election Board at (717) 261-3810.  You will also find additional election and voter registration information at the County’s website,

Are you enjoying local news?

First Month 99¢

Already a subscriber? Login here.