WAYNESBORO- The Waynesboro Area School District (WASD) is committed to providing quality education to its students, even in the face of inclement weather. In the Spring of 2023, WASD Superintendent Dr. Rita Sterner-Hine conducted a survey of WASD families and staff to gather feedback on school closures due to inclement weather (aka “snow days”) and online/remote learning on days when schools are closed to inclement weather. Such days are also known as Flexible Instruction Days, or FID.
Based on the survey results and in accordance with the requirements of the Pennsylvania Department of Education, WASD has developed a plan to utilize Flexible Instruction Days (FID) for the 2023-24 school year. WASD has been approved to utilize five (5) FID days throughout the school year.
Inclement Weather Make-Up Days
In the event of inclement weather that necessitates school closures, WASD will follow the following plan:
- First Two Days: The first two inclement weather closures will be made up within the school year on the scheduled make-up days:
- Friday, December 22, 2023
- Monday, February 19, 2024
- Flexible Instruction Days (FID): For the next five days of school closure, WASD will utilize Flexible Instruction Days (FID). On FID days, students will participate in live instruction and complete independent assignments remotely.
- Additional School Closures: If schools are closed for more than eight (8) days due to inclement weather, additional make-up days will be added to the end of the school year.
- FID days are considered school days. Therefore, virtual attendance is required. Students who do not log on as required will be marked absent.
- Families will have three (3) school days to submit an excuse for an absence on an FID day. Depending on the number of days a student has been absent to date, a professional excuse may be required.
WASD will continue to monitor weather forecasts and make decisions regarding school closures as early as possible. Parents and guardians are encouraged to sign up for school notifications and follow WASD’s social media channels for the latest updates.
WASD remains committed to providing students with a high-quality education, regardless of weather conditions. By utilizing Flexible Instruction Days, WASD can ensure that students continue to learn and progress, even when schools are closed due to inclement weather.