WAYNESBORO-Healthy Franklin County is coordinating the inaugural Earth Day of Service in Franklin County to support local organizations and groups that are doing their part to increase awareness and education about our connection to the land and how important it is to take care of our environment.
Individual, families, businesses, students, and service clubs are encouraged to celebrate Earth Day by volunteering with local organizations hosting service projects from 9 a.m. to noon, on Saturday, April 22. Help with prepping community gardens, plant native trees and shrubs, assist with streamside trail maintenance or participate in a community clean-up! Project details are here.
The following organizations are hosting volunteer service projects:
- The Conococheague Institute: community garden prep, build wattle trellises or improve a pollinator garden in Mercersburg
- Solomon’s United Church of Christ: plant native trees and shrubs, assemble new garden beds and plant in existing community garden beds, make and take small planter in New Franklin
- Council for Wellness: Johnston Run Streamside Trail maintenance in Mercersburg
- Church of the Apostles, United Church of Christ: landscaping and community garden prep in Waynesboro
- Chambersburg Waste Paper : clean-up project in downtown Chambersburg
- The Institute: Nature Center grounds – Spring Clean-up Day in Waynesboro
To learn more about projects and to register, visit www.healthyfranklincounty.org/earthdayofservice.