Waynesboro tops Hershey 13-7

Waynesboro's defense swarms a Hershey runner during the Tribe's 13-7 victory. LEE GOODWIN/LOCAL.NEWS

HERSHEY – The Waynesboro varsity football team didn’t get to venture into the park or ride the rides, but they still left Hersheypark happy on Friday night.

Jaylon Bean punched it in on a 1-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, and Cody Tharp galloped into the end zone on an 8-yard run on the opening possession of the third quarter for what proved to be the winning points, as the Indians defeated the Hershey Trojans, 13-7 at Hersheypark Stadium.

The win evened Waynesboro’s record at 1-1 awaiting its first home game of the season next Friday against Chambersburg.

After a scoreless first quarter with each team trying to establish its offense, the Indians struck first.

Waynesboro took over on downs near midfield midway through the second quarter and were facing a second-and-15. Bean used his legs for a 9-yard pickup and his arm for a 22-yard completion to Wesley Bonebrake to push the ball to the Hershey 26-yard line.

Bean gained a modest three yards before senior running back Mikel Holden ran for 10 yards to the 16. Two plays later, Bean followed his offensive line into the end zone for the game’s first touchdown and a 7-0 lead after the extra point.

Waynesboro’s defense, which got burnt on some big plays a week ago during a 46-14 loss to Spring Grove, bent but didn’t break in this week’s game. Hershey showed its potential when starting quarterback Daniel Painter connected with wide receiver Dominic Melendez on a 31-yard pass play to give the Trojans a first down at the Tribe 30 on the game’s first possession.

The drive stalled after three rushing plays yielded just three yards and an incomplete pass ended the possession.

The play of the defense was not lost on Waynesboro head coach Josh Sprenkle.

“From week one to week two we made some position group changes; last week we had eight new starters on defense. Those guys learned a lot last week, they showed up and did a great job and all but pitched a shutout. I’m super proud of those guys,” Sprenkle said.

Hershey took over following a punt but turned the ball over on downs again, this time at the Waynesboro 33-yard line. The Indians punted again, and the Tribe’s defense sent the Trojans’ offense backwards thanks to back-to-back tackles for losses – including a sack by Parker Hull for a seven-yard loss on third down.

Hershey missed a field goal to end the first half, and Waynesboro started its scoring drive at its 34 to open the second half.

Bean and Holden teamed up for an 18-yard pass play on second-and-10. The Indians recovered their own fumble, which cost them eight yards. A short pass play from Bean to Bonebrake still left Waynesboro with a third-and-long play. Bean found lots of room to run for 26 yards and a first down at the Hershey 25.

Following two short gains, Bean hit Holden for 13 yards to set up a first-and-goal. Tharp took it from there, crossing the plane untouched for a 13-0 lead with 8:05 to play in the quarter.

“We’re still figuring some things out on offense,” Sprenkle said. “Our O-line is very young. We have the skill guys back in Jaylon and Mikel and we kind of rely on them to make things happen, which they did.”

Hershey ended Waynesboro’s shutout hopes with a touchdown with 3:58 to play in the game. The Trojans recovered a Tribe fumble at midfield and scored on a 12-play, 48-yard drive.

Are you enjoying local news?

First Month 99¢

Already a subscriber? Login here.