HAGERSTOWN, Md. — Washington County commissioners approved a controversial Fort Ritchie infrastructure agreement Thursday that could remove a major hurdle for development on property owned by J.G. Business Link International, Inc.
The vote also advanced a no-bid consulting contract with former County Administrator Gregory B. Murray during a tense special meeting disrupted by public protests and renewed questions about conflicts of interest.
The special Thursday morning meeting grew contentious as commissioners debated whether the county should assume responsibility for improvements to a private sewer system tied to 63 acres owned by J.G. Business through a related entity at the former Fort Ritchie base. The amendment ultimately passed after commissioners added a bond requirement tied to future road improvements.
According to the meeting agenda, the amended agreement requires the county to undertake improvements to the private sewer system servicing the J.G. Business property. Once completed, the sewer infrastructure would transfer to county ownership and become part of the public sewer system.
In exchange, the company would improve N. Boyd Street, Cushman Avenue, Hart Avenue and Lake Wastler Drive to county standards before dedicating the roads to the county.
County Administrator Michelle Gordon argued during the meeting that the agreement would bring parity with infrastructure support previously provided to other redevelopment efforts at Fort Ritchie. Gordon said previous redevelopment projects had received millions of dollars in grants, infrastructure work and county support.
New Commissioner Neil C. Parrott proposed adding the bond requirement to protect the county if the road improvements were not completed.
“I want it to be that they would put up a bond as a part of this agreement,” Parrott said. “That way if something happens, they go away, then the county is now insured.”
The amended motion passed with Commissioner Randal A. Leatherman casting the lone dissenting vote.
Leatherman said he remained concerned about the level of development activity on the property and said he did not yet support the agreement.
During debate, Commissioner Jeffrey A. Cline pushed back against criticism that the county had transferred the land to J.G. Business without compensation.
“You can all laugh, but the propaganda about those people giving that land free is inaccurate,” Cline said.
Questions surrounding Barr’s connection to Ellsworth Electric surfaced after the Radio Free Hub City platform reported that the company filed permits in 2025 for electrical work at 14235 Cushman Avenue and 14237 Cushman Avenue, both located within the affected subdivision area.
According to the report, J.G. Business has active electrical contracts with Ellsworth Electric at two properties within the development area affected by the agreement. The outlet reported that Barr did not abstain from the vote or publicly disclose a potential conflict of interest during the meeting.
Barr’s official county biography states that he remained president and owner of Ellsworth Electric until his son purchased the company in 2020.
Radio Free Hub City also reported that Barr’s 2024 financial disclosure form lists a 50 percent ownership interest in “Ellsworth Properties” and that Maryland business records list Barr as registered agent for Ellsworth Electric. The outlet added that updated financial disclosure forms for commissioners have been requested through the Maryland Public Information Act.
Consulting contract for former county administrator
The meeting also included a separate 3-2 vote approving a consulting contract with Murray’s firm GDMS, LLC for countywide water and sewer planning services. According to the contract, GDMS will provide consulting and support services related to water and sewer capacity, infrastructure planning, regulatory requirements and future growth projections.
The contract was not competitively bid. Leatherman questioned moving forward without a broader search for consultants.
“I believe that we need to search for a consultant,” Leatherman said. “Very possibly, Mr. Murray is that consultant. But I would like to do a further investigation and throw out a net to see who else is available and clarify our needs and desires.”
Barr defended the decision, saying the county had spent years discussing water infrastructure problems without enough action.
“This community needs to move forward with an aggressive, intelligent plan for water for everyone, not just individual municipalities,” Barr said. “We need to work together.”
The meeting was interrupted multiple times by attendee Curtis Reigh, a county commissioner candidate, who was removed from the meeting twice during the disputes, prompting temporary suspensions of the meeting.
Commissioners also unanimously approved a five-year extension of the county’s memorandum of understanding with Maryland Public Employees Council 3, AFSCME, AFL-CIO and Local 2677, AFL-CIO, extending the agreement through fiscal 2031.










