CHAMBERSBURG-Franklin County Visitors Bureau is celebrating African American History Month at the Franklin County 11/30 Visitors Center with an exhibit of well-known African American citizens of Franklin County.
Highlighting the February remembrance is a Learn & Explore event on Feb. 25, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the 11/30 Visitors Center.
Chambersburg citizen Joseph Winters and his contributions are a key focus. Winters is well-known for his patented invention of the fire escape ladder. Participants will learn about Winters and the world in which he lived. Winters is also one of the organizers of the meeting between Frederick Douglass and John Brown, held on August 19-21, 1859. At this meeting, Brown revealed his plan to raid the federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry o Douglass.
Learn & Explore also includes a tour of the Chambersburg Fire Museum, organized in 1977. The tour includes multiple fire vehicles from different eras, including one apparatus used to put out the blaze of 1864, when Confederates fired the town after a ransom demand was not paid. Visitors will step back in time “to send a fire call and determine the location of the fire.” The museum shows the evolution of community fire service, from the first organized group in 1780 to the present.
New to the 11/30 Visitors Center’s African American history exhibit is a display to explain how the celebration commenced, evolving from a week-long recognition to the full month of February. President Gerald Ford officially recognized February as Black History Month during the American Bicentennial celebration.
The Franklin County 11/30 Visitors Center invites you to celebrate on February 25. Tickets are $15/person or a two-person ticket for $25. Ticket includes lunch, booklets, and tours. Tickets are available here.
The breakdown of the day:
9:30 – 9:50 AM
- Check in, refreshments, and setting the stage for the day.
10:00 AM – 11:15 AM
- Group A stays at 11/30 Visitors Center for Joseph Winters.
- Group B goes to Chambersburg Fire Museum. (Group B returns to 11/30 Visitors Center after tour.)
- Read It-Is-Always-The-Right-Time-To-Do-The-Right-Thing Essays.
- Lunch at the 11/30 Visitors Center.
1:00 PM -2:15 PM
- Group B stays at 11/30 Visitors Center for Joseph Winters.
- Group A goes to Chambersburg Fire Museum Group B goes to Chambersburg Fire Museum. (Group B returns to 11/30 Visitors Center after tour.)
2:30 PM – 3 PM
- When all are returned to 11/30 Visitors Center, caravan to Mount Vernon/Mount Lebanon Cemetery on Lincoln Way West.