YORK – New board chair and vice chair appointments headline changes to the WellSpan Health Board of Directors for the calendar year of 2023. Hilda Shirk, who previously held the position of vice chair in 2022, has been named the board chair. Joe Crosswhite has assumed the role of vice chair and Linda Pugh has rejoined the board for 2023 after previously serving in such capacity prior to 2022.
“The leadership Dr. Hilda Shirk has demonstrated in helping guide our board and organization as vice chair has positioned her well to successfully navigate the complexities facing health systems like WellSpan,” said Roxanna Gapstur, Ph.D, R.N., president and CEO of WellSpan Health. “The breadth and depth of the board’s expertise is paramount as we focus on improving the health of our friends and neighbors in southcentral Pennsylvania through the delivery of high quality, convenient and affordable care.”
Changes to the 2023 board members include:
Hilda Shirk, Ph.D., MSW, Chair, Retired President & CEO of Lancaster Health Center (now Union Community Care)
Shirk most recently served as a consultant to the Lancaster Chamber and Economic Development Company, providing expertise and resources to mitigate the public health impact of COVID-19 on businesses. Prior to retirement, Dr. Shirk was the President & CEO of Lancaster Health Center, a federally qualified health center delivering primary care and dental services in Lancaster. She currently serves on the boards of Landis Communities and the High Foundation.
Joe Crosswhite, Senior Executive Vice President, M&T Bank
Crosswhite is a Senior Executive Vice President for M&T Bank, and has been with M&T and its predecessor banks for more than 35 years. He is active with many charitable and civic organizations and currently serves on the board of York Country Day School. His prior service included board roles with the Lancaster Economic Development Corporation, WellSpan York Hospital, the York College of Pennsylvania, the United Way of York County (among others).
Linda Pugh, Ph.D., RNC, FAAN, Retired Professor, University of North Carolina Wilmington’s School of Nursing
Pugh is a retired professor of nursing, most recently from the University of North Carolina Wilmington’s School of Nursing. She has also taught and led nursing programs at Johns Hopkins University and at York College of Pennsylvania. She has done extensive research on implementing best practices in healthcare, including helping to develop the Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidenced-based Practice models, and working with nurses across the nation on its implementation.
The WellSpan Health Board of Directors is a volunteer governing board tasked with oversight of WellSpan Health. Members are elected to three-year terms, with officer terms lasting one year. The board serves as the parent board of WellSpan Health.
The full WellSpan Health Board of Directors for 2023 includes:
- Hilda Shirk, Ph.D., MSW, board chair, retired, former president and CEO of Lancaster Health Center (now Union Community Care).
- Joe Crosswhite, board vice chair, senior executive vice president, M&T Bank.
- Mandy Arnold, president and CEO, Gavin.
- Elaine Bonneau, lead consultant, Bonneau & Associates.
- Richard Broadbent, president, Bench Dogs.
- Philip Fague, C.P.A., executive vice president, wealth management and mortgage, Orrstown Bank.
- Richard Farr, executive director, rabbittransit and Capital Area Transit.
- William Funk, D.M.D., retired, founder of Cocalico Dental Offices.
- Roxanna Gapstur, Ph.D., R.N., president and CEO, WellSpan Health.
- Stephen Holoviak, Ph.D., retired, Penn State University, Mont Alto.
- Kevin Jackson, independent contractor.
- Paul Minnich, Esq., partner, Barley Snyder.
- Linda Pugh, Ph.D., RNC, FAAN, retired professor, University of North Carolina Wilmington’s School of Nursing.
- Andy Williford, head of human resources, Volvo Construction Equipment.